Saturday, November 13, 2010

I've been busy....

No excuses for lack of posting, just been busy. And when I get home at night, the last thing I want to think about is updating the blog. BUT, I'm here now (yay for you! :) and I'm ready to fill everyone in on the last 2 weeks.

First on deck, the Jets game! WE HAD A BLAST! We took the trains out to the new stadium, and had pretty easy time getting over to Jersey beforehand. The new stadium is butt-ass ugly on the outside. Our train was pulling up and Blondie was like "um, that's awful". I'll be posting pics on the NY blog later on today so be on the lookout for a prime example of "WTF architecture".

We got to the stadium about 3 hours before game time and met up with our bartender and group of friends from the bar for some tailgating fun. It was one of the best times we've had since moving to the city. There was so much food and booze, it was mind boggling. And everyone was so friendly - I knew about 80% of the people from the bar, but the other 20% made me feel like I had known them for years as opposed to hours.

The game itself was kind of a blow - our tickets rocked, we were 10 rows off the end zone and felt like we were in the game itself b/c of how close we were. The game sucked though - there wasn't a single touchdown scored, and it ended with Packers 9, Jets 0. Just boring. And then the train ride back was horrid. Blondie cut us in line for the train which was a good thing, because even cutting in line it took us 2 hours to get home (the stadium is literally right across the Hudson from NYC). If we hadn't cut, we would've been there another hour at least.

Okay, so that was Halloween. My birthday was 2 days later - and true to form, we got trashy trashed. My friends from work took me out for Indian for lunch (soooo good), and then Blondie met me early for margaritas and chorizo, before we hit up our bar for plenty of beers and shots. The day after that, my friend Little Dragon met me and Blondie for some more mexican food (WOOT) and margaritas to complete the celebration.

Then on Thursday of that week, I got a chance to reconnect with an old boss of mine in the city. She had been my VP at my SF job for almost the entire time I was there - she had taken a years LOA to travel the world with her boyfriend (OMG - how fabulous?), but is now back. She has taken a lesser position which made it a lot more comfortable to get drinks with her. I didn't have to worry about what I was saying, or temper my conversation in anyway. Which can be really hard for me to do - especially if I get some drinks in me.

Last weekend was spent recuperating. My body is tired. We ended up spending most of the weekend at home, watching the NYC marathon on TV. It inspired us to go for long runs as we tried to feel better that 45000 people were running 26.2 miles while we watched them from the comfort of our home.

The weekend was needed last weekend, because this week my project kicked in. A group from the SF office arrived in the NYC offices to officially kick everything off. A work week has never gone so fast for me as it did this past week. From meetings all day every day, to getting everything planned and coordinated... It was a whirlwind week that felt like it was Friday before I even got through Monday.

On top of the actual work, I had a busy week too - my good friend from the SF office was part of the group out, so we took Tuesday evening and went to see "The Addams Family" on Broadway - it starred Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth and we were dead center of the venue, 4 rows back from stage. It. Was. Amazing. It was a comedy and a musical, and I've never laughed so hard at a play in my life. At one point, Grandma said to Pugsley "What's up stud?" and I about gave myself an asthma attack from laughing. You had to be there - the wigs and clothes that they put on the Pugsley character made him look like a weasel, not a stud. So when Grandma said that... OMG. And the set was killer also - the money they must put into these sets, I can't even fathom. If you are in the area, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this play. Also, holy shit, Bebe Neuwirth? Looked fantastic. She was gorgeous and sexy and flawless. She's in her 50's, but looked like her 30's (I looked her age up afterwards because I couldn't even guess).

Okay, Wednesday this past week, I had set up a huge drinks event at one of the local bars. Everyone from the SF office came out that was in town, and the NYC office joined up too to celebrate the start of the project. My second goal for the night was to get everyone comfortable with each other as we are going to be relying on each other *heavily* to get this project done. And I think it worked. People got to chat and find out about each other from a personal perspective, which will help when it comes time to figure out how to work with teams in India, SF, and NYC. That was a late night that ended with 2 of my girlfriends from work and me as the last ones there, drinking and laughing the night away.

Then came Thursday - when we went with my friend Little Dragon and her husband and friends to MSG to see the Rangers vs the Sabres. Little Dragon's social circle is so much fun, and I hope we get added to it permanently. It was a good night, and the Rangers WON! Making it our first time watching a NYC team play where they actually won!!!! (We've seen 2 Rangers game, 1 Knicks game, 1 Jets game, 2 Yankees games, and 1 Mets game - all except for the 1 Rangers game have lost).

Last night was a trip back to our bar for dinner and drinks, before coming home and crashing out in front of the TV. I had stopped on the way home from work and bought a loaf of pumpkin bread from our local pie shop, and we ended up eating the entire thing last night. I'm supposed to go for a long run today but might give my body a break. I have a long ass flight tomorrow to head back to SF for work for my project. I'm pretty sure this is going to be standard for me now - 3-4 weeks in NYC office, a week in SF office going forward. Which actually for me is the best of both worlds.

Today will be spent packing up, getting everything ready before my alarm goes off at 4 am tomorrow. I have plans for all day Sunday, Tues night, Wed night, and Thurs night before I have to catch a red-eye back on Thurs next week. I'm hoping Monday night stays free so that I can order some room service, and watch TV to my hearts content.


No comments: