Saturday, February 19, 2011

A case of VD


So last week ended up being kind of dud in terms of doing things. For some reason, this cold weather has zapped any thoughts we've had about getting out of the apartment. I still have to go to work (woot), but the idea of doing anything beyond that about knocks me on my ass.

Having said that, I went with my core group at work last week for drinks one night. My BFF from work had stopped by and mentioned that she'd had a crappy day, so we decided drinks were in order. We hit up a Belgium bar close to our work, where I had meatballs and salad (separately) and a couple of beers, and she had a plate of fries and some wine.

Last weekend, Blondie and I were pretty boring. As a matter of fact, we were just sitting here now trying to remember what we did last weekend, and we couldn't. So Blondie said "It must've been pretty exciting!" which made me laugh. Finally we figured it out - I had my first "long" run of training on Saturday (it's just 4 miles right now), and then we did grocery shopping. The weather was not cooperating, so it was back to our apartment afterwards to watch crappy movies all day.

This week, a coworker of mine from SF came to NY. Last time I was in SF, I decided I didn't want to fly out every month (for various reasons), so I managed to convince my coworker that he wanted to swap months with me. Anyway, he was out here for the week. He shared my office with me and I had a blast actually. The week went by SUPER FAST which was nice. I had a ton of meetings this week, and Tues and Wed were literally back from 11 am to 5 pm and 9:30 am to 3 pm with meetings respectively (no breaks).

Monday was VD! I came home Monday night as we had decided to just order sushi in. I walked into our apartment and Blondie had decided to surprise me with 2 dozen roses (love, love, love roses!) and a bag of gummy bears, a chocolate heart-shaped donut from Dunkin Donuts, a slice of banana-nut bread from my favorite bakery, and 2 bottles of this cheap white wine that I want to marry. It was a fabulous night. We watched "Under the Tuscan Sun", and I about cried as always at the line at the end of the movie when the real-estate agent tells Frances "You got what you wanted. You have a family here. You have a wedding here".

Wednesday, outside of my coworker from SF, another group of people I worked with in SF were also in town for work, but not at my building. I met them for dinner and drinks at a little Ethiopian place in my hood. It was soooo good seeing them, and getting to catch up - one of the women who was part of the group, she was such a good buddy of mine at SF, that I used to hang out in her office, bitching about my boss at the time, and eating her candy every single day.

Thursday, my BFF from work organized a big HH for our entire team. She set them up monthly, so that we can all get to know each other outside of the office. It was so much fun. Everyone was in a good mood, and chatty, and when the night ended it was a bit sad. We did get into a big discussion about office spouses, and then it was a bigger discussion about which of my friends is my office spouse. The answer was never decided. I took a cab home that night, which is a luxury I don't indugle in often. It was so nice.

So yesterday was a half-day because we get Monday off (all days before holidays are half-days for us). AND THE WEATHER WAS GORGEOUS! It was low 60's, and sunny. I met Blondie at 1:30 pm for drinks and lunch on a patio at a bar close to our house. Afterwards, we did our grocery shopping before heading over to our regular bar for a few drinks. We came home early last night as I had some stomach issues, and ended up hitting the sack around 9:30 pm.

It was worth it though - I slept through until 8:15 am today, and then headed down for my 2nd "long" run of training (another 4 miles today). I'm now showered, worked out, eaten breakfast, and it's only 11 am. Now it's time to decide what to do to today! Do we stay in? Do we hit up a museum? Do we go for lunch? Do we....

Tomorrow I'm meeting my coworker from SF to see La Cage Aux Folles on Broadway, and Monday I want to get a pedicure. But other than that, the weekend is free. Alas though, the weather was only nice for yesterday - it's in the low 40's, temps dropping and windy like crazy right now.

One last thing - this was my 2nd week of training for my half. I did 3 miles on Tues and Thurs, 2 miles hill work on Wed, 4 miles today, my 30-day-shred level 3 program on Fri, and yoga last Sunday. Monday was my off day. I'm super excited about the half coming up, and want to really be able to run it all - I'm back in my head about running though (where I'm aware of every step I take - which SUCKS), and it always takes a few weeks before I can distance myself from that, so until that happens, it's been torture.

Hope everyone is well, and enjoy the weekend!

--K

No comments: