Sunday, April 24, 2011

It's Taper Time Bitches!


And just like that, 11 weeks of hardcore training has finished, and I've rolled into taper week (as of 45 mins ago). I feel AWESOME, and I know Blondie does too. We've registered and run (walk/run) several half marathons, and normally we stop training about 4 weeks into our training. But thanks to Mr Pooh coming in for this, everytime we've started to talk ourselves out of it, we've talked ourselves right back into it. I just can't imagine Mr Pooh getting here, and then us being like "Oh well, we got bored training".

So this week was again, low key. Someone from my old team was in town for a few days, so it was good getting to see that person. I had an early meeting with them on Monday, and it kind of evolved into where my career is going (my boss was involved also). My role has changed dramatically since I started in it - and I'm not sure I like where it's at now (being responsible for projects where everyone is located 3000 miles away but me).

On Tuesday, my core group from work, me and Blondie hit up Koreatown for dinner. We were celebrating - someone from my core group got a HUGE promotion and we wanted to do it up in style. We ate SO MUCH FOOD, and then this restaurant also had sparkling sake. Oh. Em. Gee. People. I heart sake with a passion, but then to make it sparkling! We had a great time that night, hanging out outside of the office and just generally being rowdy and noisy.

On Wednesday I was offered a new role at my company - within the same division, same office, etc. I would have a new boss and would be offically within the business side of things as opposed to technical side of things. I have a lot to think about - I don't want to jump in because it's an out from my current job, but at the same time, I don't want to stick in my current job permanently either. Luckily I have time - it's not a decision I have to make v soon.

Friday morning Blondie texted me early at the office. It was supposed to pour rain on Saturday all day so he suggested a bar night on Friday with a long run on Sunday instead (no rain forecasted). I agreed, and I needed it. I bolted about 45 mins early, and we hit up our local bar for several drinks. Afterwards, we agreed some brownies were in order so we headed up to the grocery to get necessary ingredients. While the brownies were baking, we got into a bottle of wine, and that's all I remember for the night.

Yesterday afternoon I finally had a brownie, and then spent the next 8 hours alternately passed out, or eating. Literally it was all I did. But I guess it was a good thing as we headed out today for our final long run (10 miles) and we both rocked it out. Blondie is in major pain right now, I feel fine/good. I've managed to convince him that a beer for lunch to celebrate the end of training is in order - so we are about 3 secs from either hitting up the bar or hitting up our taco bodega.

This was week 11 of training, leaving only taper week left! Last Sunday I did 60 minutes on the precor, followed by my P90x stretching DVD on Monday (needed), with a 5 mile run on Tues, 3 mile hill work on Wed, 5 mile run on Thurs (10:45 min miles!), rest day on Friday, 60 minutes on the precor yesterday, and 10 miles today (11:33 min miles!) This week I could feel everything clink together - my runs have been as fast as they've ever been, and I even set the resistance on the precor to above what I normally do (level 5 and 9 - went to level 6 and 10 - alternate every 2 mintes) - I managed to push the pedals at those levels for an hour, but also way faster than I normally go.

I have taper week this week - so some stretching tomorrow, followed by 4 miles on Tues, 3 miles on Wed, 2 miles on Thurs and that's it! Mr Pooh arrives on Wed, and I have Thurs and Fri off of work to poke around the city with him and Blondie. I'm so excited!

Okay, off for food (and a beer). Happy Easter! Eat a Cadbury Creme Egg for me!
--K

No comments: