Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Worst Week


Last week turned into one of the worst weeks ever in terms of work. Everyday that I was at the office (all 5 of them), I got news about my program that was worse than the day before. None of this is my fault or anyone on my team's fault, but still, to have something go wrong (catastrophically wrong) every single day of the week was awful.

Blondie made fun of me and quoted some Office Space: "So if every single day is worse than the day before, then we're seeing you on your worst day? That's messed up". I won't give details, but let me say that our launch date will have to be moved by several months.

In other work news, my coworker from the west coast was in town for the week. It's always good seeing him. We shared my office, and having someone on the ground from the west coast is always extremely helpful.

On Tuesday night, Blondie and I headed to our bar for our usual Tues Night Out event. I got into the scotch which was bad news, and we made our bartender play Tosh.0 reruns all evening. I took my frustrations from work out by drinking heavily, and so was loud-laughing my way through Tosh.0 which I'm sure was so thrilling for the other patrons of the bar.

On Thursday night, my coworker and I and one of his friends went to see a new Broadway play - this one was Sister Act and it's still in previews. It was a musical, and it was *hysterical*. This play wasn't on my list, and when he mentioned it, I was hesitant because it didn't sound so great to me (I didn't really like the movie either). But I did agree to go b/c I needed to get out of my head about work. It was a beautiful evening, so I walked over to Broadway from my office - it was really nice getting out and enjoying the weather. Again, the play was hysterical - it was so funny, and the music was something I could bounce along to.

The highlight of the play though had to be the GIANT statue of the virgin Mary, done over like a disco ball - it even twirled like a disco ball. I was like "oh holy shit" which made my coworker laugh his ass off. After the play, my coworker and friend walked me back through Times Square and we split off there so they could go home and I could go home.

Friday I went out for lunch, and when I got back to work, I thought "f this. This has been the worst week for work, I'm leaving early". I bolted about an hour early, bought a bunch of lottery tickets (I figured my luck had been so good this week - cue sarcasm - might as well see what would happen) and met Blondie at our bar again. We don't normally do the Friday night scene, but I'm glad we did this time - I sucked down way too many beers, but it finally got me to stop thinking about what had happened this week.

Yesterday we got up, and it was cold, cloudy and windy outside - and the rain was supposed to start around 2 pm ish. Blondie was hungover so he was going to wait until Sunday or Monday to do his long run, so I decided to wait too. But then at 10 am, my friends texted and invited us over to watch the Sabres v Flyers game last night, and I knew that had the potential to be a shit-show evening, so I decided to go out yesterday and do my 10 miles anyway.

I started out without any expectations, due to my shitty 8 and 9 mile runs the previous 2 weeks - and I rocked it out. I stopped at mile 5 for 20-30 secs - it was more of a mental thing that I needed as I felt pretty good. Then I stopped at mile 6.8 as that's where the only working water fountain on the course is. I ate an energy goo and refilled my water bottle - so probably stopped for 1 minute. I ran the rest of the time - I got in at 1 hour, 59 mins, with an average pace of 11:59 min miles.

Afterwards, I came back and crashed on the floor for the afternoon - the rain started in earnest, and we watched it out our windows for awhile. We started over to our friends' house around 4 pm, and had a blast. We kept it low-key - after our binge on Friday night, it was a needed non-rager. We got home around 9:15 pm. The storm had turned into a thunder storm by this point, and it was nice to hear it.

Today I have 60 mins of cross-training I have to do, but am going to wait a bit before I head down to the gym. Blondie might do his 10 miles today, or he might wait until Monday - he's trying to decide. It's gorgeous outside right now - the rain blew through overnight and the sun is out - it's supposed to be in the 60's today also. We've talked about going over to Brooklyn for brunch, and we both need to do so light clothes shopping (underwear, rain boots).

This was week 10 of training (2 more weeks to go!) - last Sunday I did 50 mins on the Precor, followed by level 2 30 day shred on Monday, 5 miles on the treadmill on Tues and Thurs (my Thurs runs were at 10:59 min mile - which is super speedy for me), 10 miles outside on Saturday, and rest days on Wed (not planned) and Friday (planned).

I've also sent my list of shit to do to Mr Pooh, who will be arriving in 1.5 weeks to run the half with us and more importantly, hang out with us.

And finally, a shout out to Mrs Pooh who has started a plan of running many 5Ks - she finished her first of the season yesterday in a really good time! Congratulations Mrs Pooh!

--K

No comments: