Sunday, August 07, 2011

A 9 Times Production


What a week. I'm going to start with that. As fast as 2 weeks ago went, last week was 20x faster. To begin with, my worst fears came true as I was picked to be on a jury. Not only was I picked, I was picked *immediately*. The very first time they sat for a jury, I was picked #1. I can't say anymore, but when the trial is over, I will give generic details out.

Jury duty is hard right now because I'm very concerned about my project. Every hour I'm away from work makes me panic a bit more. But, having said that, I'm actually kind of entralled by the process I'm going through and how much I'm learning (stuff I'll never need to know again, but still) everyday I'm at jury duty.

So jury duty runs everyday but Thursday, and that's because the courts shut down. So everyday last week, except Thursday, I started my day off by a trip down to City Hall. The trip is ok as I can catch an express train in Times Square, so I'm usually to the courts about 30 mins after I leave our apartment. I also get to stop in at Starbucks for my daily coffee as opposed to the office Flavia machine.

Everyday last week also, except for Friday, I had to go back to the office after jury duty was done. So I would get out between 2:30 and 4:15, and right back to work. The nice thing though about City Hall is that it seems all trains converge there, so my train back to work is a 2 minute walk from City Hall. And everyday last week except for Friday, I was again at work until 8:30 - 9 pm at night.

Last Tuesday, we went out for my friend's last day at work. Way too much bourbon and wine ensued, but the food and the company were both excellent. It's sad to say goodbye to my 2 friends that have quit, but it's also a kick in the butt for me - the time on my contract is coming to an end, so it's very soon going to be up to me if I want to stick around or look for something else.

After my friend's party last Tuesday, I headed on home - got back to the apartment around 11 pm and there was no Blondie. I knew immediately where he was so I headed over to our bar and had a few drinks with him, and just relaxed.

On Friday, one of the jurors had invited everyone to his apartment for lunch. He lives very close to City Hall, so we went and enjoyed his rooftop patio - the views were f'ing amazing! Empire State Bldg, Chrysler Bldg, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn - it was a never ending party for the eyes. And after jury duty was done, I headed back to Times Square and met Blondie for an early movie.

We saw "Cowboys and Aliens", and it was really really good! I love Daniel Craig and to see him do a cowboy role (after James Bond) with an american accent was da bomb diggity. We had some snacks and enjoyed finally getting to see Blondie before 9:15 pm. After our movie, we headed over for Ethiopian food and split a bottle of wine before heading home to crash out.

Yesterday I had to work for a couple of hours, before Blondie and I decided to do movie day. It was rainy and overcast all day, so we opted to pick a movie-theme and hang out. I picked "Stars before they went off the hook" as our theme and we watched "Signs" (Mel Gibson), "Cocktail" (Tom Cruise), and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (Charlie Sheen - TIGER BLOOD!).

Today was some more work (about an hour) and now I'm watching reruns of my favorite Ginger Junk Conan O'Brien. No plans for the rest of the day - it's not raining today but it's definitely overcast. I have a glass of scotch, work is done for the day, I have courts tomorrow, and I have a cat curled up beside me. Could be worse people, could be worse.

This week was a recovery week from Insanity. I took Monday off from working out, did an Insanity month 1 program on Tuesday (and realized I needed a bigger recovery), took Wed off, did Yoga on Thurs, Core Cardio Insanity on Friday, took Saturday off, and did a 3.1 mile run/walk today. Tomorrow I hope to run again, before starting back up (including eating right) with Insanity on Tuesday.

In exciting news, Blondie and I finally booked our first vacation (just him and me, that doesn't involve visiting family ) for the first time since 2006. We're off to Barbados as a combination anniversary / my birthday gift at the end of October. 5 days in an all-inclusive resort - I absolutely 100% cannot wait.

--K

No comments: