Sunday, December 04, 2011

Calm Between The Storms


Holidays in NYC always lead to super busy weekends for the Blonde One and me. So we usually take the weeks to recover and get ready for our weekends. This past week was no exception.

It was back to work on Tuesday and the day felt like it took forever to get through. What's it about short weeks that make them feel soooooooooo long? Wednesday was the same way. Just a drag. Thursday though, my core group from work went to the bar after work. We had many many drinks and many many plates of food, and just enjoyed catching up and blabbing to each other about what was going on in our lives. And Friday was just another drag of a day.

Yesterday though, was good. I didn't think it would be, but it turned out ok. It started with a trip to the vet. On Friday night, Max's eye went "haywire". When I got home from work on Friday, he was fine, and then within about 5 minutes, I noticed his eye had completely filled with blood. I panic'ed, and Blondie loved on Max while I frantically looked up emergency vets and googled his symptoms to see if I could figure out what was going on. We decided against the emergency vet, simply because Max didn't seem to be in pain and also because I didn't want to have to leave him overnight in a strange place.

I slept like shit on Friday night, and must've been up 20 times to check on Max. Around 6:30 am Saturday morning, I threw in the towel and just got up. By then, Max's eye was almost back to normal - there was a bit of blood in the bottom, and a "film" over his eye but NOTHING compared to Friday night. I took him into the vet anyway, and it was just a busted capillary - it happens. They now think I'm a freak at the vet. But I'm so relieved it wasn't more!

Then on Saturday, around 1:15 pm, Blondie and I headed up to see a Broadway play - a real play, not a musical. When we were walking to the Rockettes on Monday, we had passed one of the theaters and happened to notice the play there had a bunch of famous names in it. So we went to see that one - it was called "Seminar" and we LOVED it. It starred Alan Rickman (Snape from Harry Potter, Die Hard, Dogma), Jerry O'Connell (Vern Tessio from Stand By Me) and Hamish Linklater (Christine's brother on New Adventures of Old Christine). The play rocked, and Alan Rickman is a fantastic actor.

We left the play just giddy - Blondie said it was his favorite of all we've seen so far, and he loved Alan Rickman. We stopped at House of Brews for a few drinks and some food before heading on home to crash out.

Today we have on tap the Packers v Giants game this afternoon, and tomorrow it's off to see our bar friend in her cabaret / burlesque show. Tuesday, it's a going away party for a friend from work (everyone is quitting!), before we slow down and break before heading into next week - which is off to Brooklyn both days to hang out with various friends.

Workouts were again on track and good this week - I did a Insanity disc on Tuesday and Thurs, a 3.1 mile run on the treadmill on Wed, took Friday off, and did a 65 min workout on the treadmill yesterday (which was about .24 miles more than last Saturday!) My run yesterday felt great - like I had clicked back into the habit of running, and I'm excited to start training for another half.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

--K

No comments: