Sunday, April 28, 2013

Let's talk about running

Well, I honestly have come off of a very very lazy week. Extremely lazy. I honestly don't think I went out and did anything at all this week after work.

Last Sunday Blondie and I headed to Pony Bar for lunch and some beers. I ended up getting some chili and Blondie got sausages and pretzels. They also had a sour strawberry beer that had been finished off in a bourbon barrel, and I fell head over heels in love with it. I normally hate sour beers, but this one, something about it - it was delicious. We didn't stay very long at Pony Bar, but did have a good time while we were there.

Work went fast up until Friday - and then I had my very first "this day is dragging" day since I started at my new job. The other days all flew by, busy each day, but then Friday happened and it was like hitting a brick wall at full force. Time felt like it went backwards. I ended up taking off early and met up with Blondie at our poison bar for salads and beer, before heading over to our local to round out our night. Due to my crappy Friday day, I got into the whiskey on Friday night. And I mean really got into the whiskey. And spent Saturday until about 2 pm sicker than a dog. A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I don't have a lot of news this week so I'm going to talk about running. I've been and on-and-off runner for years now - I'd say it's been about 16 years that I've considered myself a runner. Some days/weeks/months I'm totally into it, and work my ass off for running, and some days/weeks/months I hate everything about running. I've been trying to fall back in love with running lately - there is a 10K in June in Central Park, and I really want to run it. But my body seems to have reached an impasse. My running feels awful and horrible lately, and it's like pulling teeth to get a run in. My breathing is erratic (no matter how slow or fast I go), and the thought of doing 2.5 miles makes me want to cry (so how am I supposed to do 6.2 miles in June?) I'm out of ideas for what to do - I've tried cross training, stretching, yoga, dropping my miles from 3.1 to 2.5, dropping my speed from 5.5 mph to anywhere between 4.8 and 4.9 mph (SLOW) and it's just not helping. I'm honestly thinking about just not running anymore - but that makes me sad. So that's my rant. I'm panic'ed because I don't want to hate running right now, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Having said all that, workouts for the week:
Monday: Insanity Cardio Recovery
Tuesday: 28 mins on Precor; 5 min cooldown; 5 mins on treadmill at 5.5 mph; 6 min cooldown
Wednesday: 2.5 mile run in 30:15; 5 min cooldown
Thursday: 2.5 mile run in 30:50; 5 min cooldown; weights
Friday: Insanity Core Cardio and Balance; 3 sets of 16 reps - tricep dips and chest flys
Saturday: P90X Yoga
Sunday: 10 miles on bike in 41:36 - 2 mins level 7, 4 mins level 12; 5 min cooldown; around 8 mins on treadmill - some running, some walking.

What I'm looking forward to: We have tickets to see "Lucky Guy" on Broadway next Saturday (Tom Hanks, we got box seats); we got tickets to see Lady Antebellum for free (yay for Blondie's job!) in 1.5 weeks; the arrival of all the siblings and celebrating Blondie turning 40 in 2 weeks; and Slick and PFunk arriving in July for a few days! SO MUCH FUN STUFF COMING UP!

Kerri

No comments: