Sunday, December 19, 2010

Jon Stewart, Paul Rudd and me


So on Wednesday this past week, me, Blondie and a couple of our friends had VIP tickets to a taping of The Daily Show. It felt like Monday and Tuesday took forever to get through, but FINALLY it was Wednesday. My friend and I were off early to head over - we met Blondie and her man at the show. We were early, and it was freezing cold, so we stopped in at a local bar for a drink before the start. We were all very giddy, and cracking jokes, and it was eagerly that we headed in for our show.

It was insane actually being in the studio where they film it. If you are anything like me, then everything thrills you. I was just grinning my head off, looking around the room, thinking "But I've seen this on the TV!" We were only seated for about 30 minutes before the warm-up comedian came out. He was actually really funny and got the audience riled up. And then he introduced...

JON STEWART!!!! We erupted when he first came out. Everyone was cheering and whooping it out. And he was RIGHT THERE. The studio is not that big, and we had awesome seats (go VIP tickets!). He did some Q&A with the audience, and then we launched into the show. They pretty much tape the show in real-time. They really only have a 3 hour turn around time from taping to airing, so it was really impressive to watch him nail everything. No retakes, no stuttering, no getting tripped up on his words...

Paul Rudd was also really awesome - he did this great riff on his kids, how he keeps his scotch and wine on the bottom shelfs of his kitchen, the cutlery in the middle, and the cereal on top so his kids can't get to that. After Paul Rudd, Jon did his hand off to Stephen Colbert, but before they did the taped version, they did some chatting between them - and it was the funniest thing ever.

We left floating on air and headed down to our bar to hang out for the evening. Our bartender bought us all a round of shots, and we spent the rest of the evening just reliving everything.

Friday I got news that I will be needing to go to SF every 4-6 weeks for the next 6 mos at least. I am excited about it, I miss California so this is nice for me. And it gives Blondie a few days at a time without someone being like "want to go get beers tonight?"

After my news, I headed with some of my coworkers out for the evening. We went shopping for a bit before calling our significant others to meet us for drinks and dinner. We had a great time just laughing and catching up with everyone. It was my core group at work, and it was like our unplanned Xmas celebration.

Yesterday I drug Blondie down to the gym - I went for a run, and Blondie did some elliptical. After our workout, we headed out for lunch. We went to a different bar this time - split some chicken bites, and I had some fish tacos while Blondie had a burger. A few beers, and the tiredness kicked in. We stopped at our drugstore before heading home and crashing out for the day.

Today I got up and did one of my P90X DVD's (I do them in whatever order I feel whenever I feel like) before we headed up to catch a morning show of the new Harry Potter. After our movie, we went out for a late lunch, before stopping at our bakery to buy a loaf of bread. We both came home and dozed for a bit before watching the Jets FINALLY win a game. Now it's time for the Packers - but without Aaron Rodgers. We are holding our breath, hoping for a miracle. BEAT THE PATRIOTS!

Tuesday starts my vacation - we are off to Chicago for a few days before hitting The Land of Cheese to hang with Blondie's family. I'm ready for vacation!

--K

No comments: