Monday, April 09, 2012

Happy Chocolate Bunny Day


It was, once again, a very slow/low-key week. I don't know what's going on right now - but I'm loaded up with snot (again) and moving at the speed of molasses. The weather has been nice, so we've got that going for us. But my allergies have been going nuts. I sneeze my face off all day long. And it wears me out.

So I still don't have news on the work front. It's all still up in the air. As expected, my boss didn't like that they want me around for another 2 years. It's not my role anymore, and to ask me to commit to it for that long really did not go over well. But even for short-term, they don't have an answer about whether I'm approved to go back yet or not. And honestly, the longer they take to make a decision, the more I'm tempted to tell them no.

Other than that, I like my new role. So far, it's less stress. Learning the role isn't going to be fun, but at least it won't be massive pressure like my old role was (give me a new person in the business role, a new role for myself, and a hard launch date - and then not understand why things aren't going smoothly?) I like my new boss a lot. She's going to be a hard ass, but she's also really good at what she does.

I went out to lunch on Tuesday with a coworker, which I always like. For some reason, even if we're only gone for 45 minutes, it makes the day feel so much faster. If I stay out on my own for 45 minutes for lunch, it doesn't make a bit of difference. But when I go with coworkers, it's like the day is done before it starts.

On Wednesday, I did "family lunch" with my bestie from work. His dad was a chef and had made collard greens and chicken, and Blondie had made biryani and I had those left overs. So we split our lunch and ate at my desk. It was so good. Blondie's biryani was mind-blowingly hot, and the collard greens were a good complement to cool everything down.

On Thursday, I got my raise for the year. I don't want to rag on my company, but holy crap. It was atrocious. It made me angry. I've launched 2 massive projects for the company in the past 6 months (to stress - MASSIVE), and this is how much they think of me. I locked myself in my office until I got calmed down, and then tore out of there. Blondie met me for many drinks at the bar so I could blow off some steam.

But Friday was better - most of the office was out, and my new boss sent us all home around 4 pm. It was a gorgeous day also, so I met Blondie at our local german restaurant to sit on their back patio. We split a ton of beers, and were joined by our bar friend about halfway through the evening. When we were done at the restaurant, we headed over to our bar and partied the rest of the night there.

Saturday we took it easy, but ended up doing some grocery shopping before picking up some 6ers and relaxing the rest of the day away. And Sunday became Sunday Funday in the most major sense. We headed out to Pony Bar at noon and ran into the celebrity we met there last year. She remembered us (without us saying anything to her), and we spent all afternoon laughing and drinking. Our bar friends joined us, and they all hit it off - the celebrity got a Tony nomination for her role in a Sondheim musical, and my bar friend is a huge musical person, so they spent the afternoon singing to each other. Just a ton of fun.

Today my allergies have flared up, so I'm taking the day off. I can't stop sneezing. It's kind of lame to call in with allergies, but without a work from home policy, that's all I can do. I'm going to head back to bed soon, and pop some cold meds, and hopefully feel better.

Workouts were good this past week:
Monday - Cardio Recovery disc
Tuesday - 1 hour on treadmill - 30 minutes at 2 min walk, 2 min uphill run; 30 minutes at 2 min walk, 2 min fast run.
Wednesday - Core Cardio and Balance disc
Thursday - Max Cardio disc
Friday - rest day
Saturday - P90X plyometrics disc, Cardio Abs disc, P90X Shoulders & Arms disc, P90X stretching disc (yes, 3.25 hours of workout)
Sunday - 1 hour on treadmill - solid running. First time just flat out running for an hour in a long time. Sadly, when I do my Tuesday workouts, I go further than I did on Sunday, but I did run for an hour.

--K

No comments: